Chief Seattle Arts logo 

Totem Pole by James Bender at Pike Place Market (#72: 15046 bytes) 

Statue of Chief Seattle:
Tilikum Place, downtown Seattle


In 1912, local sculptor James Wehn created this magnificent, meticulously researched statue of Chief Seattle. Myrtle Loughery, the chief's great-great granddaughter, unveiled it on Founder's Day, November 13, 1912. Renovated in 1975, the Chief Seattle sculpture today presides over Tilikum Place, a small square at the intersection of Fifth Avenue, Denny Way, and Cedar Street, near the southeastern corner of the Seattle Center. (Notice Seattle's famous Space Needle in the background.)



Unless otherwise noted, all images and text are:
2009 Chief Seattle Arts
Last modified: November 09, 2014